Sunday, November 20, 2016

Dear ad companies that really don't like AdBlock like LATimes and Forbe,

I am hitting more and more paywalls that are too high for me. In my use-case, the biggest problem I have is less with how much money they want, but how often they want it. And the general fact I don't like handing my credit card out to yet another company of questionable security status quo that I have to babysit every now and then as breaches and ordering vaporizers from Singapore randomly kill off valid credit card numbers, to be immediately replaced with new numbers.

I like Flickr, domain registrations, car insurance, and a whole long list of other companies that bill me a reasonable amount of money ($25) yearly to access their content -- maybe not even all of it, and that's okay! I guess insurance really isn't "content" nor is it anywhere near that inexpensive, but you get the idea...

Washington Post has locked me out a couple of times too. How is it I am not automatically logged in as an Amazon user? Why can't I simply be logged in, see a popup to add a year of access for $25 (but only $15 the first year!), and one-click it all away? That sounds reasonable. I know I'm not the first person to express this desire, and if I am, god help us all.

But what I really wanted to talk about was the sites that are now guilt tripping me about using AdBlock, and using my general dislike of irrelevant, resource-hog, no respect ads clogging up my browser experience as a reason to block me from their probably pretty sweet content.
On a quick side note, isn't it brilliant how Facebook Mobile in particular keeps its users within its own garden when they are browsing the general internet via the app, which is ridiculously easy to get lured into, until you wonder where all of that terrible advertising came from, and realize you're using the un-AdBlocked internet, in a panic.
How about when you ask me to disable AdBlock because of writers gotta eat and packets ain't free and yada yada yada ... How about you also promise to not serve me shitty, disrespectful ads? Ads that auto-play anything with sound. Java onMouseEVERYTHING (everyone abusing mouse exits has been great, good work frontend world) can all go to hell. No Flash, hopefully obviously. Text. Integrated, lower-impact graphics. Remember Google before like 30% of Google's first screen was ad space, like a decade ago? Get back to basics before trying to sell me on totally new marketing channels built by robots in response to stalking me around the internet.

I notice that I have never had a site complain about using Ghostery -- another great add-on. Give them money.

Ad World, is that too much to ask? I'll ease back on my efforts to blackhole an entire department at most companies of any size (aka ads/marketing) online, if you ease back on all the shitty user-hating advertising techniques. And don't tell me some asshole is sitting there telling you users aren't that bothered by being harassed by ads in every conceivable way as they do the internet-equivalent of walking around the neighborhood for a morning walk. That's exactly what a person who kills kittens would say. And I ask of you, dear reader, are you a kitten killer?

God forbid ad companies look beyond turning SNR into money-fountains and start wondering why huge amounts of internet users, particularly younger users, want them entirely removed from their online existence. And possibly offline too, but hey, I appreciate a good ad every now and then too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

please be kind to fellow human beings

thank you for commenting